Our Misson Satement
"We offer Financial Solutions You Can Trust."
The History of Pacific Community Credit Union
Pacific Community Credit Union (PCCU) is a "not-for-profit," full-service financial institution, offering a wide range of services to its members. Structured as a financial cooperative, the Credit Union is owned and operated entirely by its membership.
Established in 1955 by seven employees of Beckman-Coulter (then Beckman Instruments), Inc., the Credit Union was formed to serve the employees of Beckman Coulter. The official organization date of the Credit Union, then called Beckman Employees Credit Union, is March 21, 1955. In its first two years, the Credit Union grew to more than 1,000 members with assets of $119,000.
PCCU took a major step in 1962 by opening its first branch office in Palo Alto, California. Other California branch openings followed with the Irvine branch in 1976 and the Brea branch in 1978. In 1983, PCCU moved its corporate office in Fullerton, California from the Beckman facilities on Harbor Blvd. to its present home on Imperial Highway. Along with the Imperial office came the installation of the Credit Union's first in-house computer system and the implementation of a Visa Credit Card program.
Pacific Community continued its growth by acquiring the financially strong Azusa Commercial Credit Union during the mid-1993 merger. The merger allowed PCCU to expand its reach into the San Gabriel Valley. With this merger came the addition of a branch location in Azusa. In November 1993, the Credit Union undertook a second merger, this time with Irwindale-based Miller High Life Employees Federal Credit Union. Currently, the assets of the Credit Union are approximately $115 million. The National Credit Union Administration (NCUA), an agency of the federal government, insures all savings accounts up to $100,000. The NCUA is one of the strongest federal insurers.
Although the Brea and Palo Alto branches closed in the early 1990's, PCCU continues to serve its membership from our three Southern California branches in Fullerton, Azusa and Irvine. The Credit Union's Convenience Check Card, Tellerfone-24, World Wide Web and other convenient services allow us to serve our membership of 15,000 wherever they may live or work.
The Credit Union is governed by the Board of Directors and monitored by the Supervisory Committee. The Board of Directors and Supervisory Committee officials are elected from among the general membership. These officials serve on a volunteer basis.
Today, we have grown to encompass present and retired employees of Beckman-Coulter(Beckman Instruments), Inc., (and their subsidiaries) who live or work mainly in Southern California. Also included in our family of members are other Select Employer Groups and the employees of businesses who are members of the 17 Chambers of Commerce that we serve. Those Chambers of Commerce are in Azusa, Brea, Covina, Diamond Bar, Duarte, El Monte / So El Monte, Fullerton, Irvine, Irwindale, La Habra, Puente Valley, Monrovia, Glendora, Placentia, Temple City, Yorba Linda, as well as the Industry Manufacturers' Council.
In January 1997, the State of California granted PCCU a multi-city community charter, bestowing membership eligibility upon everyone who lives, works or worships in Orange County or any of the 16 of the cities with which we have a Chamber of Commerce relationship. In August of 1999, this was expanded to include everyone who lives, works, worships or educates in the County of Orange.
Pacific Community Credit Union has a tradition of providing quality products and services to our members while maintaining exceptional financial strength. We are excited to expand our horizons and move forward as we welcome new community members into the Credit Union.